September 25, 2011

Performance: "Trojan Women (After Euripides)" at the Getty Villa, October 1, 2011

I love living in the LA area!  There's just so much cool stuff going on!

I just purchased tickets for my wife and I to attend a performance of Trojan Women (After Euripides), a world premiere production at the Getty Villa in Malibu, California, in the evening on October 1, 2011.  This performance, by the SITI Company, is being done outside in the Barbara and Lawrence  Fleischman Theater at the Getty Villa, which is an outdoor performance space based upon the ancient prototypes still evident among the Greek-influenced ruins in the eastern Mediterranean region.  Recent classical performances at the Getty Villa have included productions of Aeschylus' Agamemnon, Sophocles' Elektra, Euripides' Hippolytos, and Aristophanes' Peace.  In September 2012, a performance of Euripides' rarely performed play, Helen, is scheduled to be put on.

Here's a 'blurb' about the play from the Getty's website--
"SITI Company, one of the country's leading theater ensembles, performs the world premiere of a new Getty-commissioned production, directed by Anne Bogart and adapted by Jocelyn Clarke. In the ruins of their burning city, the royal women of Troy—still mourning the slaughter of their husbands and sons—await enslavement and exile. Among the greatest of all antiwar dramas, the play is a timeless meditation on the moments of individual choice that separate death and life, despair and hope, future and past."
I am very excited to be seeing this play, an adaptation done by the playwright, Jocelyn Clarke, and seeing it done out-of-doors by the SITI Company's ensemble.  We plan to arrive at the Getty Villa early enough to enjoy a nice dinner on the veranda overlooking the theater, and maybe even a glass or two of wine.  I am also going to read a recent translation of Euripides' The Trojan Women aloud to my wife over the next few days, so that we both have the gist of the plot in our minds as we attend the performance.  I also promise to post a review of the performance when I get back.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to live near so much theatre. Me myself, I have to drive an hour plus to seen any legitimate theatre. I suppose it could be worse. This sounds like a great production!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I love living here and getting to see so many cool things. A couple of years ago, my wife surprised me with tickets to a stage performance of Salome, with Al Pacino as King Herod. It was unbelievably good!

    I will be writing up a review of the performance of Trojan Women (After Euripides) on Sunday morning. Please feel free to stop by and see how it went. Cheers! Chris

    ReplyDelete