October 1, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

This week's book beginning sentence comes from The Iliad by Homer (translated by Robert Fagles)--
"Rage--Goddess, sing the rage of Peleus' son Achilles, murderous, doomed, that cost the Achaeans countless losses, hurling down to the House of Death so many sturdy souls, great fighters' souls, but made their bodies carrion, feasts for the dogs and birds, and the will of Zeus was moving toward its end." (Book One: Lines 1-6)
This is an awesome translation!  I have come to profoundly admire Robert Fagles's skill at translating the Greek classics and giving them life and lyricism for new generations.  I am also participating in a group-read of Fagles' translation of The Oresteia by Aeschylus in one of my book groups on Goodreads (see my earlier review of The Oresteia here).  My version of The Iliad is the Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition, 1998, 683 pp.  I also highly recommend Fagles' translation of The Odyssey.

I wish you all a wonderful weekend, and Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Chris, thanks for visiting! I hope you'll come back often. I'm impressed with your blog, too - and amazed that you have Favorite Poem Project under the links you like. I LOVE that site - so many moving portrayals of poetry in life! Can't watch Michael Lythgoe reading "Facing It" at the VN Memorial without crying!

    I'm adding you to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete