August 3, 2010

Meme: Teaser Tuesdays

TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
- Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

My teaser is:

"Mrs. Lidcote had deplored, when she started, that the Utopia was a slow steamer, and would take eight full days to bring her to her unhappy daughter; but now, as the moment of reunion approached, she would willingly have turned the boat about and fled back to the high seas.  It was not only because she felt still so unprepared to face what New York had in store for her, but because she needed more time to dispose of what the Utopia had already given her."

My teaser was taken from page 293 of my current read-- The New York Stories of Edith Wharton, New York Review Books, Introduction by Roxana Robinson, NYRB, 2007, 452 pages.  This particular 'teaser' selection is from one of her very well-known short stories, Autres Temps...

This is a truly wonderful collection of twenty of Edith Wharton's short stories revolving around life in New York City.  As much of a fan as I am of Wharton's novels, I am equally enamored with her shorter fiction.  This makes a delightful bedside table book, with a chapter a night being just what the doctor ordered.  Enjoy!

[The rules for Teaser Tuesdays comes from MizB at Should Be Reading]

4 comments:

  1. You really are reading the good stuff! You have an award at my blog, stop by and check it out at your convenience....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on the lookout for good short stories to read this fall when school starts up again. I'm going to add Wharton to my list!

    Also, thanks for stopping by my blog today. I'm glad to know my posts where helpful to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good teaser - very intriguing! I forget how much I like Wharton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I'm glad to meet a fellow Wharton fan. I'm not usually big on short stories but this one definitely has the Wharton flow to it. I'll have to give her stories a try. Thanks for sharing this teaser!

    ReplyDelete